logo


Parish History

A thatched shed was erected at Cheruvandoor under the authority of Athirampuzha Church on the piece of land donated by Kallampallil Eliamma, who was a widow. It was the humble beginning of Cheruvandoor parish.
The land on which the shed was erected was bought in the names of 6 individuals with title deed right. It is entered in the records that 30 rupees 20 chakram and 8 kasu were spent for the transfer of the title deed. The amount might not be the price for the land. Kochupurackal Kuttan, Vanisseril Itti Ippu, Neyithuruthil Devasia and Thengumthayyil Kuruvila were selected to conduct the affairs.
H.E. Mar Thoma Makil consecrated St. Sebastian's Kurisupalli (cupola) erected at Cheruvandoor. The feast of St. George was celebrated on that day. "Rev. Fr. Thomachan Perumali Purackariyil conducted the first Holy Mass at 11 o'clock."
Cheruvandoor kurisupalli was proclaimed a parish vide order no. M 2374. The decree says that the order will be in force from Christmas that year.
The practice of conducting 2 Holy Masses on every Sunday came into force from the month of January. There had been 1 Holy Mass on every Sunday at 10 o'clock till that date.
Rev. Fr. Thomachan Parekkunnel, the vicar, demised at the vicarage.
Mannukkuzhimalieckal Varkey Chandi donated the cupola which he had erected on his land to the parish.
Permission was received to start a school with classes 1 and 2.It is found in the records that the General Body had already decided to start the school on 23 January 1927.The decision was approved by Diocesan authority vide Decree No. 1059 dated 21 April 1927.
The General Body held under the Presidentship of Vicar Rev.Fr. Cyriac Puthenpurayil decides to renovate the church. 1961 March 2 H.E. Mar Mathew Kavukattu Consecrated the newly erected church.
2 houses were built for 2 homeless families by the parish as Jubilee memorial of H.E. Mar Mathew Kavukattu.
Chapel dedicated to Christ the King was erected at the far end of the church. It is the fruit of the hard work and skill of Rev. Fr. Cyriac Puthenpurayil, the vicar.
The General Body of the Parishners was banned from assembling by Archdiocesan centre following untoward incidents in the parish in January.
The erection of the new manimalika (bell fry).
Cupola of St. Antony was erected. Two houses were built for two homeless families. On May 3, permission was granted to resume the General Body meeting which had been banned for two years. It was decided to divide the parish into 4 wards in order to start the Parish Council in the General Body held on 16 October. It was also decided to start a nursery school in the same year.
General Body of the Parishners decided to provide 1 acre of land for erecting a convent in the parish. It is recorded in the church documents that a convent was erected in the parish in the year. It was decided in the General Body held on 25 November that Matha Nursery School managed by the parish would be transferred to Clara Convent (F.C.C) but the school building and equipments would be under the possession of the parish. The maintenance of the school would be done by the convent. In the same year the cemetery was renovated and beautified under the leadership of Rev. Fr. George Vavanikkunnel.
Rev. Fr. George Noozhaithadathil was ordained by H. E. Mar Joseph Powathil.
Sri. K. T. Thomas Kulappurathuvayalil donated arch and curtain for the madbaha.
Rev. Fr. Jose Pothamparampil was ordained by H. E. Mar Joseph Powathil.
Three Priestly Ordinations were conducted. Rev. Fr. Devasiachan Pothamparampil was ordained by H.E. Mar Jacob Manathodathu, Auxiliary Bishop of Ernakulam Diocese, on 3 January and Rev. Fr. Luke Perumannikalayil and Rev. Fr. John Perumannikalayil were ordained by H.E. Mar Mathew Vattakuzhiyil, Bishop of Kanjirappalli Diocese on April 7.
Three Priestly Ordinations were conducted. Rev. Fr. Devasiachan Pothamparampil was ordained by H.E. Mar Jacob Manathodathu, Auxiliary Bishop of Ernakulam Diocese, on 3 January and Rev. Fr. Luke Perumannikalayil and Rev. Fr. John Perumannikalayil were ordained by H.E. Mar Mathew Vattakuzhiyil, Bishop of Kanjirappalli Diocese on April 7.

In the same year a kurisadi (cupola) was erected close to the church.

Rev. Fr. Cyriac Malieckal renovated the kurisadi situated on the west of the church in commemoration of the Silver Jubilee of his Priestly Ordination.
A 'mondalam' was erected with the donation from K. T. Thomas Kulappurathuvayalil.
Foundation Stone of the Pastoral Centre was laid.
The pastoral Centre constructed under the supervision of Rev. Fr. Thottanani was inaugurated.
Foundation stone of the new school building was laid.
The newly constructed school building was blessed by H.E. Mar Joseph Powathil.
Rev. Fr. Thomas Aaryankala was ordained by H.E. Mar Joseph Powathil.
Inauguration of the centenary celebrations of the first Holy Mass conducted at Cheruvandoor Church. The 'Deepashikha' (torch) lighted at the tomb at Lissieu Church of late Rev. Fr. Thomas Perumalipurakari who had said the first Holy Mass at Cheruvandoor Church and the flag from the tomb of late Rev. Fr. Cyriac Puthenpura at Athirampuzha church who had erected the present church were brought to Cheruvandoor with the accompaniment of many vehicles. The 'Deepashikha' and flag were accorded a ceremonious welcome following which the thirunnal of St. George and the Holy Mass were conducted the way they were conducted on 23 April 1907

The foundation stone of the Jubilee Memorial building was laid on the same day.

The parish was divided into 16 units (kootayma) and the practice of conducting unit meetings every month on a specified date was started.

16 hours of adoration of the Blessed Sacrament was conducted alternatively by every unit (kootyma) during the day time on 9 and 10 September as part of the Centenary Celebrations. A ceremonious 'pradakshinam' carrying the Blessed Sacrament was conducted with deep devotion from the church to the kurisadi which is situated at the far end of the church at 6 o'clock on 10th March

Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament is being conducted in the evening of every Friday as part of the Jubilee celebration from February 2006.

The wedding Jubilee of the couples of this parish who had reached their wedding Jubilee and the concluding celebration of the Family Year were celebrated heartily.

Ward Prayer

Announcements

Live Streaming





Video Gallery

Contact Us

St. Sebastian's Church
Cheruvandoor
Ettumanoor
Kottayam

Location

Contact Form


Can't read the image? click here to refresh
all rights reserved © St Sebastian's Church 2016
Powered by: